About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Stillness Speaks


This may seem a little cliché, but the idea that my body is my temple seems to be a reoccurring theme for me the last few days. I really believe that I have been disconnected from my body for the last 25 or so years or maybe even longer. My mind and spirit seem to not be a part of my body and its laments. I think this may hold the clue to why it has been such a struggle for me to release weight in the past. I don’t really feel overweight in my head most of the time. I don’t really feel uncomfortable. Well, of course unless I am shopping for clothes – the reason for my vast shoe and purse collection! LOL! Or if I am going to a beach or pool – then I do recognize that I’m not going to feel too comfortable in a bathing suit – but my weight hasn’t stopped me from going! I did give up wearing shorts quite awhile ago – but hey don’t all forty-year-olds. Hmmmmm….that sounds like a little bit of denial.  But, the point being that in my everyday life – I don’t think of myself as a fat person.  I really don’t.  I think that somewhere along the way the connection between body and soul so to speak was lost for me. Not sure when or how or why! But, in expanding my meditation practice I have learned – I am still a total novice at this – that it is only in stillness that we discover our infinite possibilities. It is in stillness that we set our intentions and our stillness connects us to our intentions.  Very profound breakthrough for me! Discovering this made me think about how I have lived my life for the last 25 years or so, or maybe longer.   I have always tried to be in a constant state of motion. Ask my husband!  I can’t even sit and watch a movie without dashing around the house.  Always doing something, always talking to someone, starting project after project, decorating room after room, buying this and buying that, and now always on the computer on Facebook, or email or Twitter  - but I realized that in doing, doing, doing perhaps I have lost the connection between my spirit – my authentic self – and my body.  Always living in my racing mind with that stupid little drunk monkey talking to me much of the time, and not living in my body – even while exercising I would think of what I had to do next.  I could barely take Cleo for a walk without scurrying back to the house – for what - so, I could do something anything, but be still. I realize that in not having this connection to my body – my temple- the energy mass that keeps my spirit alive on this earth –that there was no way I would ever be a my ideal weight. This is big. This is it. This is the third part of the triad.  Connection! There must be a connection between body and spirit, body and mind.  I am just figuring this out. I am just realizing the potential of this discovery. This morning during my meditation – I felt the stillness.I was mindful. I was peaceful. I felt the connection. I felt that the possibilities in my life are absolutely unlimited!

No comments: