About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

gro-Organic Garden Planning Software Review

I posted a little about the garden planning software awhile ago when I first used it, but now I am going to give a full review of my thoughts on how it works. The software was really easy to use. I measured my garden space in my backyard, then I drew the plan for my garden with the grid system on the site. I actually realized that I could plant and grow way more than I did last year, once I inputted what vegetables and fruits I wanted to plant where in my garden. As you can see by my completed plan below, I will be growing lots of delicious vegetables this year. All and all I thought the software was really easy to use and I really like seeing where I will be planting each plant/seed. In the past I just sort of planted where ever with no regard to spacing etc. This really helped me when I actually planted a few weeks ago too because it told me when to plant each type of plant and how many plants/seeds to plant in each square foot of my garden. The website also has information on each type of plant with photos.

gro-Organic also offers all these other features if you have Garden Planner account:
Growing information: Just click for full details of how to grow each plant, where to position them, etc.
Number of Plants: Clearly shown by the number at the top of each plant square (This is what really helped me to hopefully grow much more this year - by allowing to be totally utilized all my space.)
Personalized Planting Chart: You get a chart showing when each plant will be planted and harvested by geographic area.(Now I will know when to pick my vegetables instead of letting them get too big!)
Reminder Emails: You can have emails sent reminding you what needs planting in your garden
Easy Crop Rotation: The Garden Planner remembers each year's crops and advises where to place them next year (This will be great next year!)
Succession Planting: See which crops will follow others and view your plan for each month of the year
Add Notes: Like a garden journal you can add notes on how each plant did (So, I will be able to track any issues I have with pests, birds, whatever in this section.)
Intuitive Use: Very easy to use intuitively. (I am one of those people that never reads directions and I figured out out how to use it within minutes.)
Tutorial Videos: For those who would have the patience - not me! But, very useful to learn how to use the software.
Can't wait to start picking and eating my bounty! Thanks for the help with my garden planning gro-Organic!

 This is what my garden plan looks like for this year. The brown part is actually a walkway/path to the terraced garden, as you can see in the real photo of my garden from last year.
And, this is my actual garden from last year. See my over grown onions. LOL! This year I'll know when to pick those puppies! Don't look at my dead lawn though - actually it is really green right now! So, I'm looking forward to eating real food from my garden in my pursuit of my fit self!!! Can't wait!

No comments: