About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Creating a Crisis of Authenticity

Here is an excerpt from the book The three laws of performance by Steve Zaffron and Dave Logan, which I heard about when I went to a Landmark Seminar a couple of years ago. This seminar is what really started my on my journey - awesome seminars. I have been to a couple now and plan to take another one soon called Self-Expression and Leadership Program. But, here is the excerpt that I think is quite interesting.

The following story illustrates what we call creating a crisis.

An old Cherokee chief is teaching is grandson about life: "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

"One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, pride, superiority, self-doubt, and ego.

"The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

"This same fight is going on inside you - and inside everyone other person too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which one will win?"

The old chief simply replied, "The one you feed."

The book goes on to say this isn't referring to the crisis you have, but the crisis you create, by confronting what really matters to you. Basically, the chapter goes on to say that we need to resolve the areas in our lives that are inauthentic, those times when we resigned ourselves to a lack of freedom, joy and full self-expression. The chapter goes on to say that wherever you experience a loss of quality in your life, there is some inauthenticity at play. There is something about which you are avoiding, or not taking responsibility for. Or you made a decision that makes you right, that gives you justification. In doing so, you give up power, freedom and self-expression.

So, it sounds like being inauthentic in one's life leads to the evil wolf winning. I'm sure the wolf he speaks of is much like what I call the little drunk monkey. Wolf sounds like a more accurate description of this phenomenon though! Don’t you think? So, having and being all that you want to be is only possible coming from a place of authenticity, love, joy, gratitude and faith. What a concept! I have several instances in my life right now where I can see that I am being justified in being right, rather than being what I really want to be – authentic – my authentic self.

No comments: