About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Garden planning and great cabbage soup recipe

I planned my whole garden with the is awesome software from gro-Organic.  Now I know exactly where I am going to plant what vegetable/fruit. I think it is going to allow me to better utilize my space by planning rather than haphazardly planting plants. The software even tells you when to plant, when to harvest, what to plant next to what. It is really cool. I think they are giving a 30 day free trial right now too. Check it out!

I am still working on getting my new camcorder to work - technical difficulties. I seem to be having a lot of those lately!

Still doing the detox - it is going pretty well. Tonight I am making cabbage soup for dinner. I know that doesn't sound too good, but check out the recipe. I think it will be tasty!

Rustic Cabbage Soup Recipe


1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
a big pinch of salt
1/2 pound potatoes, skin on, cut 1/4-inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
5 cups stock
1 1/2 cups white beans, precooked or canned (drained & rinsed well)
1/2 medium cabbage, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch ribbons
more good-quality extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Warm the olive oil in a large thick-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the salt and potatoes. Cover and cook until they are a bit tender and starting to brown a bit, about 5 minutes - it's o.k. to uncover to stir a couple times. Stir in the garlic and onion and cook for another minute or two. Add the stock and the beans and bring the pot to a simmer. Stir in the cabbage and cook for a couple more minutes, until the cabbage softens up a bit. Now adjust the seasoning - getting the seasoning right is important or your soup will taste flat and uninteresting. Taste and add more salt if needed, the amount of salt you will need to add will depend on how salty your stock is (varying widely between brands, homemade, etc)...
Serve drizzled with a bit of olive oil and a generous dusting of cheese.
Serves 4.

No comments: