About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Power of Focus


Yesterday I took the first of four classes on the book The Power of Focus - a great book. I have read it before, but the class is a great refresher to some great practical information. Some insights from the class.

·        Habits determine your future. - Isn't that the truth? In my case emotional eating is a habit, as are other things that lead me to the place I am today. But, I'm changing those habits slowly but surely.
·        You have control over your habits. - This is true - but it does take at least 21 days they say to change a habit. My personal opinion is it probably takes longer depending on how long you have had the habit. So, if you have had a habit for twenty years, I really don't think 21 days is going to do it. I would say more like 180 days - or perhaps even more time.
·        Focus on your strengths - discover your brilliance.  - What a concept. So many of us are doing things that my not be our best strength or our passion. I for one am going to focus more on things that bring me joy and happiness.
·        You teach people how to treat you. - This one struck me. I guess I we all need to teach people how to treat us how WE want to be treated, not how they want to be treated. Does that make sense?
·        A goal is the ongoing pursuit of a worthy objective until it is accomplished. - Ongoing pursuit being key in this tidbit of information. Like my weight release journey it is an ongoing pursuit and it is a worthy objective. So, I will keep going until I accomplish this goal.
·        If you are feeling complacent then you haven't said "YES" to life. - This one struck me too. Sometimes I have the tendency to sit on the sidelines so to speak and not jump in and do what I know I want to do.

Well, I am off to Hawaii bright and early tomorrow. I plan to post at least a few times while I am there, but I am really going to relax, regroup and unwind while I am there, so if I don't post much don't worry all is well. I am probably just mesmerized by the beauty of the island. Aloha!

No comments: