About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Self Esteem - what is it?

A few quotes to ponder on self esteem.

”A man is the origin of his actions.”- Aristotle

"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Ayn Rand

“Sooner or later, those who win are those who think they can.” - Richard Bach

Someone's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.-- Les Brown

A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval. - Mark Twain

Here are the definitions I found on SELF ESTEEM - "What our unconscious believes to be true about how worthy, lovable, valuable and capable we are." or "a realistic respect for or favorable impression of oneself" or "self-pride or a feeling of pride in oneself."
In looking at the definition of self respect and self esteem I see a subtle difference. It sounds like if one doesn't have self esteem - or a sense of worthiness and being comfortable with who one is and love for oneself one then they could easily not have self respect. And then do things, eat things, not work out, etc. because they don't feel they are worthy, or worth it. It seems that one can be very good at many things but yet still not have self esteem or self respect. It seems that respect for oneself is the way one treats them self - how they take care of their self, do what they say they will do, etc. It seems to have to do with integrity, as well, which is what I always say I don't have toward myself. This is a big ah ha for me. I get it. I actually really finally get it. I must have a favorable impression of myself not matter what anyone else says. I get it. Ah HA!

No comments: