About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Self Love - what does that mean?

A few quotes about self love:

“He is his own best friend, and takes delight in privacy whereas the man of no virtue or ability is his own worst enemy and is afraid of solitude” - Aristotle

"Self-love is the greatest of all flatterers." - La Rochefoucauld

You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection." - Buddha

"Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin as self-neglecting." - William Shakespeare

"A low self-love in the parent desires that his child should repeat his character and fortune." - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Here are some of the definitions I found about SELF LOVE - "the instinct or tendency to seek one's own well-being or to further one's own interest" or "regard for one's own happiness or advantage" or "The instinct or desire to promote one's own well-being; regard for or love of one's self" or "excessive pride or vanity, over valuing the self."

WOW! Not really sure what to think now - should I have self esteem, self respect or self love? I need to digest all I have learned to comment fully on the definitions of these three words or concepts.

By the way this all stems from a conversation during my Prosperity Princesses group in which each one of these words was used interchangeable - but looking into the definitions of each word what is clear is that according to the dictionary, anyway, each word does mean something different. I will comment more tomorrow after I have a chance to ponder all of this. Hmmmmmm……

No comments: