About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Boundaries

I had a great Breaking through Barriers conference call tonight. We talked about boundaries - boundaries in work, in relationships, with exercise, with food, with rest, in many areas of life. Do you have a challenge with boundaries? Do you say yes when someone asks you to do something at work that is above and beyond and then feel stressed out? Do you say yes to the friend that always wants to go eat bad food and drink? Do you give in when your husband wants spaghetti for dinner instead of fish? Do you put off exercise because you have to do something else for someone else? These are all boundary issues. And, boy do I have a lot of issues in this area! Figures! I always say I have integrity to others, but not to myself. But, that is changing and it is changing NOW! And, this is why – when you have boundaries that are too diffuse or too rigid you are doing yourself a disservice. We talked tonight about how to maintain healthy boundaries. The key being to make a decision and stick to it. So, for example when my friend wants to go out to eat and drink. I can decide that I am going to not go at all (too rigid of a boundary) or I could decide I am going to just go eat nachos and drink this one time before I start again on my diet tomorrow (too diffuse of a boundary). Instead what I could do and will do from now on is CHOOSE to have the healthiest option that I like at the restaurant and one glass of wine. Instead of the old all or nothing scenario I am so familiar with. This new practice should work well. It is so basic – but sometimes it is the most basic things that we don’t figure out for awhile, right?

No comments: