About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Gardening and a Recipe

Gardening was the theme of the morning. I know I should have been working. Instead I gardened until about 10 a.m. – picking tons of onions, and tomatoes, and a few red peppers, jalapenos, green chilis, and brussel sprouts. Plus, I planted another zucchini plant – the first ones I planted died for some reason - and another type of squash plant. I am telling you gardening is intense exercise. I just love it! Now half of my garden is weed free and looking good. I still need to work on the other half. I don’t know where all these darn weeds come from!

I used some onion in the dinner I made tonight – Spinach Feta Rice. Nummy! The recipe is below. Since I am doing the cleanse I decided to stay away from heavy meats and proteins for the next three days.

Spinach Feta Rice

1 cup white rice (I used brown to make it healthier)
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup water
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon dried oregano
6 cups spinach, fresh
4 ounces feta cheese

Combine the rice, broth and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. (I cooked the brown rice in my rice cooker for 55 minutes.) Cook onion, mushrooms, and garlic in a large skillet. I used a little olive oil. Add mushroom mixture, lemon juice oregano, spinach and cheese to hot cooked rice. Toss lightly until spinach is wilted.

Makes 6 servings.
195 calories each serving

1 comment:

Unknown said...

EAT REAL FOOD!!! That's my diet!! sounds like you got a ton from your garden! Congrats!!