About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I'm worth it and so are you!

Yes. I am. One of the things we talked about in one of the classes today. We need to remember that we are worth it and take care of ourselves and our bodies. Whether it be eating the right foods, exercising, taking time for ourselves,getting enough sleep, etc. so many of us don't take care of ourselves. Many of us take care of everyone else but ourselves. But, a big theme in the lecture today was take care of yourself.

We also talked about the two places emotions come from. Can you guess? Emotions either come from a place of fear - like sadness, frustration, depression, anger, bordom, or from a place of love - like happiness, joy, compassion. The lecture focused on how to not emotional eat. And, guess what I do that a lot. Really, you say? LOL! Anyway, the steps they said to work on when you find yourself at the refrigerator looking for food or about to gobble down a gallon of ice cream or whatever your vice maybe were:
1. Figure out what it is you are feeling and let yourself experience it. Let it out. Cry if you have to. Yell if you have too, but just don't stuff it.
2. Make a list of the most frequent reasons you emotionally eat. Then make a list of things you can do instead of binging like take a walk, go to the gym, read a book, take a bath, go to the movies, whatever it is you can do to not eat that pound of Sees candy.
3. Focus on your goal. If in the middle of wanting to binge you can think aboout your goal. Realize it will take you that much longer to lose the weight or that you will have to do that much more exercise if you eat that whole pizza.
4.Be accountable for what you do eat, if you still decide to eat after the first steps. Add up how many calories you ate. Was that ice cream 950 calories or that pizza 2500 calories?
5. Was it worth it. Then ask yourself was it worth it. Were those calories worth it. And, remember the next time how you felt when you did eat emotionally. Did it solve your problem? No.
6. Don't beat yourself up if you do binge and emotionally eat. Just realize you won't always be able to stop yourself, but if you follow these steps you should be able to decrease the incidence.

Besides this great lecture. I went on a very scenic hike, did circuit training, kickboxing, mountain (again!) and a pool class. And, I am pooped and ready for bed.

No comments: