About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

More about the Little Drunk Monkey and how to calm him

This if from the book Shrink Yourself talking about how sometimes we - or what I like to call the little drunk monkey - are not kind to ourselves and this can hinder weight loss and just make us feel bad. Boy, do I know about this. I think writing in my gratitude journal and writing my intentions each day is helping with this too.

"Many people who struggle with their weight speak to themselves in the privacy of their own minds in a harsh, cruel or even abusive way. In a way that they would never dream of speaking to someone else. It's the voice that calls you fat, or lazy, or belittles you for not having enough discipline or willpower. This kind of voice, with weapons of shame and guilt, might get you to white knuckle it for a little while and lose weight. But the weight loss doesn't stick and you're left with only a drill sergeant in your brain.

The tip of the week is to begin to NOT listen to that negative voice in your head. Instead, pay attention to how you can change the tone, the message and the vocabulary. Losing weight and keeping it off (especially when you're an emotional eater, binge eater or compulsive over eater) is hard work. Talk to yourself in a manner that understands that. Use loving and compassionate words. And in the most simple of terms, be nice to yourself. Listen for the soft whispers of your "true will" and start to become your own best cheerleader!", from the book Shrink Yourself.

Here is a great quote too.

"It's really important that you feel good. Because this feeling good is what goes out as a signal into the universe and starts to attract more of itself to you. So the more you can feel good, the more you will attract the things that help you feel good and that will keep bringing you up higher and higher." Joe Vitale
Author and Speaker

No comments: