About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Some hike photos and all about RMR

Do you know what your RMR is? RMR means Resting Metabolic Rate. Today I got up at 5 a.m. to have a test done to tell me what mine is. Basically it means how many calories do you burn if you lay in bed all day. Knowing this one can figure out how many calories they need to eat to maintain or in my case lose weight. So, now I know mine. I figured out I was eating too little during the week - about 300 calories too few each day - and then I would be super hungry and ready to binge on the weekend. So, now I'm going to eat a little more each day and also follow the 90/10 rule - which basically means eat healthy 90 percent and have that 10 percent for when you eat a piece of cake or bowl of ice cream or whatever that you didn't expect to eat. Basically the whole process is calories in and calories out. We all know that, but now I know how many to each and how much to exercise to lose - I was a little off before. So, this is going to be fabulous.

Other than that helpful test and info today was also great. We went on a great hike to a place called overlook. Then we had stretching, and pool class, then lunch and another pool class, then ball class - doing all sorts of exercising holding a giant ball over your head etc. - argh! - and then treading. Oh sounds pretty easy, but treading is intense - five minutes getting your heart rate to its max, then five minutes recovery, then four minutes at max, then recovery and all the way down to one minute max, and recovery and then for fun an extra two minutes at max. This class kicked my butt. Then it was dinner and another lecture on meal planning when we get home.

Tomorrow we are supposed to do the hike called stop sign - it is supposed to be a killer. Time for bed for this one!

No comments: