About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Crafting my essay


Today while trying to craft an essay for my writing class -  I realized that this weight loss journey that I have been on for the last 260 days has been about much more than just loosing weight. It has been about growing and learning and stretching my limits and my connections to the world and to myself – spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally and intellectually. I never thought when I decided to write a blog for a year that I would learn so much about the world and myself. I actually never really thought about what in the heck I would write about on a daily basis. But, some how I have managed to write about something – most days anyway! This journey has been full of ups and downs – on the scale and in other ways, joys and sorrows – I have cried and I have laughed, experimentation – I have tried many different types of exercising – some fun and some not so fun, I have read many books about topics such as dieting, spirituality, emotions and goal setting to name a few. I think the most profound thing that I have discovered while in the last months has been a sense of self that I have never had before – a sense of me as a human being. I am the type of person that lives in my mind – always thinking - Why this? How that? What does that mean? – instead of living in my body. That probably sounds a little crazy – but it is true. In the last couple of months I have actually realized that my body is a part of me – not just a non-descript vehicle that takes me from my car to my house to the store to work to the gym and back again.  It is the means with which I experience the world. That sounds crazy too – but also true! So, in other words - I am more often than not living each moment in the the actual moment rather than thinking in my head - makes for a much more enjoyable life!

No comments: