About this blog

This is a new decade for all of us and will be a new journey for me as I turn the corner on my forties into the realm of my fifties. Hard to believe. I invite you to follow my health and fitness journey as I reach my goal of wearing a size 10-12 while I am 50 years old. I know this will be a blog filled with joys, accomplishments, and probably even some setbacks, but the over all goal will be to keep going, keep moving, keep releasing weight to be a fit and healthy 50-year-old.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Tasty Recipe...and good for you too!

Tonight Makyala is spending the night - so I thought I'd make something she would like. But, I didn't want to go overboard on my calorie intake for the day. So, I tried a new recipe. This recipe is amazing – a great recipe from the book “The Skinnygirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life.” It is really yummy and it even has vegetables in it! Serve it with a salad and you are set.

Zesty, Cheesy Mac and Cheese

Makes 6 servings
320calories per serving

Bake time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
• 12 ounces whole wheat mini pasta shells (these hold the cheese better than elbows)
• 1 cup soy milk
• 1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan
• 1 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
• 1 cup frozen butternut squash, thawed
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon dry mustard
• ½ teaspoon pepper
• ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• ½ tsp. chili powder or a few dashes of Tabasco sauce
• 2 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs
• 2 tablespoons reduced fat Monterey jack cheese, shredded

Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Boil pasta shells in salted water until slightly firm, according to package directions.
2. In another saucepan, combine the soymilk, Parmesan, cheddar, and butternut squash over medium heat until melted and combined. Turn off the heat. Add salt, mustard, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and chili powder or Tabasco.
3. Drain the pasta but don’t rinse it. Add it to the cheese sauce (use a large bowl if necessary) and toss to coat the pasta. Taste and add more salt or pepper, according to your taste.
4. Spray a shallow baking pan with cooking spray and put the pasta-cheese mixture in it. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Monterey jack cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

No comments: